When: August 8-August 10, 2014
Where: Baltimore Convention Center, Baltimore MD USA
What is it: Otakon is an annual three day anime convention focusing on East Asian popular culture (primarily anime, manga, music, and cinema) and its fandom. The name is a portmanteau derived from convention and the Japanese word otaku. Otakon is one of the longest-running Anime conventions in the United States, and the 2nd largest North American anime convention as of 2013.
Review: by The Grand Shuckett Crew
For the last six or seven years, depending on who you ask, we have been attending Otakon, the largest anime convention on the east coast in the US, and we always have a great time. We certainly saw no reason to end the trend, so this year was to be no different.
Otakon, as always, offered an array of options for its con-goers this year. From fan panels to voice actor Q&A’s and cosplay photo shoots, there was no shortage of ways to busy oneself.
You can listen to our Otakon Recap Podcast Episode Here:
Thanks to all the people who took the time to talk with us!
Friday – Day 1
- Naruto Fan Panel
- Dante Basco Q&A
- Avatar: The Last Airbender Photoshoot
- Who’s Line is it Anime?
- Taiko: The Way of the Drum
- Crunchyroll: The Live Stream
- Kill la Kill Photoshoot
- Attack on Titan Photoshoot
- Flowers of Evil 1-4 [S] (watched 1st episode)
- The Abridged Series Panel
- OMG WTF Did I just Watch
- New Anime for Older Fans
- Girls und Panzer
- Assassin’s Creed Photoshoot
- Naruto Photoshoot
Saturday – Day 2
- The Weirdest Games You’ve Never Played Pt. 4: Race to the QWOP!
- Marvel Photoshoot
- Pokemon Photoshoot
- AMV Contest
- Attack on Titan: The Sociological Impact of Fear
- Anime’s Craziest Deaths
- Axis Powers Hetalia Photoshoot
- Sumo Demonstration
- Brynhildr 1-2 [S]
- Unusual Manga Genre Panel
- Saturday Night Fan Parodies
- AMV Contest Non-Finalist
- Anime According to AMVs
- AMV Gameshow
- Spirits, WHeels and Borrowed Gods: Anime and Japan’s Sacred Culture
- Elements of Style: Anime Openings
- The Crash Course to Yaoi
- Beyond The Tentacle: Japanese Fetishes Fandom Redux
This was one of our favorite videos from the AMV Contest: Ship Happens by VivifxAMV
Sunday – Day 3
- Free! Iwatobi Swim Team Photoshoot
- REAL NINJAS!
- Maoyu 1-4
In the Dealer’s Room they had the 1992 X-Men 6 player arcade cabinet game!
We had a ton of fun at Otakon again this year, and we can’t wait for Otakon 2015!